With Sian, as Ffion, a graphic designer who currently works there full time. She gave some good advice; to go into shops and look at what they are selling. See what you think you could do better, e.g. logos, packaging etc, and ask the owner if they are interested in you re-designing it, and sell it to them.
They put together 5 top tips, which they think are the most important things to do/remember:
- Stand out from the crowd! - designs with personality, because after all, we're hardwired to notice only what's different
- It's all about the customer! - listen to them!
- Live by design, not by default!
- Perspective - look at things differently, and continue to be curious!
- Go the extra mile! - this always makes a difference!
This talk was really inspiring, and you could really tell that Sian is extremely passionate about her work and her company. She really wants to make a mark, doing the thing's that she loves doing. It so refreshing to see someone get so passionate about their love for their job, not the commercial side, as Sian defines success as loving what you are doing, and waking up in the morning feeling excited about going to work. I came out of this talk, feeling inspired, thinking that I want to work for Sian and Daydream Designs, drinking tea, and creating quirky illustrations.